- Be humble
Humble to the point that one is in need of deliverance.
James 4:6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”
- Be honest
Anything can go wrong in anyone’s life. But being honest will open the door for God’s grace and shut the door for the enemy.
- For deliverance, you need to choose between dignity and deliverance.
- If are worried about your dignity, your problem is pride
Proverbs 28:18(ESV) Whoever walks in integrity will be delivered, but he who is crooked in his ways will suddenly fall.
- Confess your faith in Christ
It is important to have a right understanding on who Christ is, not to the world, but to you as an individual. His Lordship, Saviour, Healer, Deliverer, One who hung on the cross, one who shed His blood, One who rose from the dead, Soon coming savior, etc.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
- Confess any known sin
All known sins need to be confessed with a real sorry attitude from the heart that is burdened with sin. Keeping it in stops the blessings, releasing it out brings deliverance.
Proverbs 28:13 He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Repent of all sins (without repentance there is no deliverance)
Make a decision within the heart to walk away from the sin. Make a commitment that you will never turn back again.
Acts 3:19Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,
- Break with occult, curses and new age related
1 John 4:3 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.
2 John 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
Matt. 24:4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you.
Any attempt to be in touch with the spirit world, watching such movies, combining spirituality and superstition, faith healing, fortune-telling and transmigration of souls, etc.
If you subscribe to any of the below beliefs of new age, you need to break and confess.
- Jesus was not and is not the only Christ, nor is he God.
- “God” is impersonal, cosmic, a God of energy forces.
- Man is himself God, for he consists of and is the creator of “the forces.” Man already exercises the powers inherent in his divinity and needs only to awaken to this fact.
- Man should seek and accept spiritual instruction and direction directly from the spirit world.
- All religions and religious teachings lead to the same goal. All are equally of merit.
- The “ancient wisdom” of Babylon, Egypt and Greece – not the Bible – is the basis of all truth.
- Sin and evil do not exist. Peace and love are the ultimate realities.
- Forgive others
Even you need to forgive your parents, teachers, boss, government and God.
Matthew 6:14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
- Inner healing
Many times when a person has been abused, rejected, wounded, or hurt in some way, there is an emotional wound that needs to be healed. Demons will use these wounds and weaknesses against the person, as leverage to hold them in bondage.
Isaiah 53:4 Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted.
- Release those hurt, painful and fearful emotions into the hands of Jesus
- Realize the love of God for you; this will help you open up and receive inner healing
- Extend forgiveness towards those who have hurt you
- Realize who you are in Christ
- Stop feeding on lies of insecurity, guilt, and pain (Jesus took your pain!)
- Forgive yourself – see yourself as God sees you
- Speak to the pain and release it into Jesus’ hands
- Tearing down strongholds
Strongholds are incorrect thinking patterns that people develop over time, and are often set up and nurtured by demons through lies and deception.
- The first one, where you see God incorrectly.
- The second one, where you see yourself incorrectly
- Tear down a strongholds
2 Corinthians 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
- Removing legal rights:
Legal rights are things that give demons permission to enter and remain in our lives. Before demons can often be cast out, it is important to address and remove these legal rights.
- Sins (especially willful sins)
- Soul ties
- Demonic vows
- Childhood rejection
- Points of weakness
- Spoken self-curses
- Cursed objects
- Renounce demons
- Cut off all connections to your ancestors.
a. Do you have ancestors who have struggled with similar problems or bondage?
b. Did your bondage start as a child and appear to have no reason to be there?
c. Do you have siblings who suffer from similar bondage or oppression?
Identify any root that may connect you with your past generations.
Such as names, keeping and/or using the articles used by them, seeing them in dreams, hanging their photos, etc.
Any known and unknown sin of the ancestor. – confess and ask for forgiveness.
Expose them. Ask the fire of God to burn them, allow the Word of God to cut them off and the blood of Jesus to wipe them away.
- Expel or Cast the demon out
Take action – In Greek and Hebrew the word for spirit is the same word for breath, breath out let the spirit go in Jesus name.
- Knowledge of your authority in Christ Jesus over the powers of the enemy,
- Faith in that authority.
Mark 1:25&26 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be quiet, and come out of him!” 26 And when the unclean spirit had convulsed him and cried out with a loud voice, he came out of him.
- Follow-up and Fellowship
It is very important to follow-up with the individual once the bondage is broken. Demons always come back and check if that individual is vacant and available for occupancy.
Matthew 12:43-45 43 “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”
- Regular church going and fellowship is important.
- Regular attendance in Bible study is important
- Regular participation in any anointing and revival meeting is required to keep the life safe from future damage.
Salvation without true repentance is a fake salvation that doesn’t stay for a long. Use this article to check your salvation and to preach salvation to someone in your family or to your friend.
1. Realization of the sinful nature:
Realization of sinful nature comes by the conviction of the Holy Spirit as the Word of God is heard.
Ecclesiastes 7:20 20 For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin.
Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.
2. Knowing the eternal state of sinful living:
The wages of sin and the eternal condemnation of living in sin is preached by the Word.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death
Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment (today many religions believe reincarnation of soul again and again in many bodies in many forms and passes through many births and deaths-just as a man discards worn out cloth and puts on new clothes the soul discards the worn out bodies and wears new ones)
Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
3. Realization of the helpless condition and the need for a savior:
A need for forgiveness of sin is urged by conscience. We will be judged according to God’s Law on the Day of Judgment. We must measure up to these standards or else be found guilty on the Day of Judgment.
Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. Romans 5:6-10 – Though sin deserves punishment, God loves us so much He sent His Son to bear our punishment so we could be saved.
4. Awareness of the provision made at the cross:
An awareness of the work on the cross and the forgiveness of sins by the blood of Jesus Christ come from the Word of God.
1 John 1:7 and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
Ephesians 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
5. Willingness to turn back:
A willingness to turn back (repent) from the old sinful life and pleasures of this world is a decision taken in the mind. A step of faith an individual has to take.
Hebrews 11:24 By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, 25 choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, 26 esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt; for he looked to the reward.
Luke 15:7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.
6. Confession of sins & receiving forgiveness:
A feeling of guilt and shame together makes the person to confess his/her sins to the Lord and ask for forgiveness. As the sins are confessed and washed by the blood of Jesus, the burdens roll away and an unspeakable joy fills the heart
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
7. Confession of the Lordship of Christ:
Now the mouth confesses the Lord Jesus is the Lord of the life and the heart believes that God has raised Him from the dead.
Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
True conversion comes after repentance.
Acts 3:19 19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
Conversion comes after repentance, we cannot convert people by providing food, not by making promises, not by starting schools..true conversion is only after repentance.
[Article derived based on the Bible Study notes on “head covering” – A study series on “Angels” at HIPM]
Reasons for head covering
1.The created order-1Corinthians 11:3-16
2.Need to practice head covering because of the angels – 1 Corinthians 11:10b
3.What nature teaches us – 1 Corinthians 11:14 & 15
- Created Order – 1 Corinthians 11:3-16
- The order of Authority established by God.
- Men & Women are equal in value & worth
- Neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman (V 11)
- Equal does not mean that they have the same role, authority or function
Created Order – 1 Corinthians 11:7-10a.
Headship & authority was God’s original intent.
- Where do you find man being directly created in the image of God? Genesis 1.
- Where do you find woman being created from man, or being the “glory of man”? Genesis 2.
- Where do you find that the woman was created for man, not the other way around? Genesis 2.
- And when do you find sin entering the picture? Not until Genesis 3.
Why does the command look different for men and women?
Man is the head of a woman (1 Cor 11:3).
Women submit to the proper male authority in their lives as head (1 Cor 11:3).
Men were created directly by God from the dust and are the “glory of God” (1 Cor 11:7-8).
Women were created by God from man’s rib and are the “glory of man” (1 Cor 11:7-8).
Man was not created for the woman’s sake (1 Cor 11:9).
Women were created for the man’s sake (1 Cor 11:9).
R.C. Sproul says“…the thing that is most astonishing here is that he appeals to creation, not to Corinth. If anything transcends local custom it is those things that are rooted and ordered in creation. That’s why I’m very frightened to be loose with this passage.”
- Because of the angels – 1 Corinthians 11:10b
K.P. Yohannan (Founder, Gospel for Asia) says, “Paul’s admonition for women to wear a head covering ‘because of the angels’ removes any doubt that this teaching is universal and timeless.”
Angels watch our worship
- Paul is passing without explaining what he meant.
- If angels are a reason, then they must be watching our worship
- Our worship may rightly symbolizes the created order to both visible and invisible
Let angels behold the manifold wisdom of God
Ephesians 3:10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places,
- 1 Peter 1:12 …(the worship and service we do here)…—things which angels desire to look into.
- They are captivated by what God is doing and want to see more.
Angels observe, record and report
Charles Spurgeon –Sermons on Angels says, “The reason why our sisters appear in the House of God with their heads covered is ‘because of the angels.’ The apostle says that a woman is to have a covering upon her head because of the angels, since the angels are present in the assembly and they mark every act of indecorum (impoliteness, indecent behavior), and therefore everything is to be conducted with decency and order in the presence of the angelic spirits.”
1 Timothy 5:21 I charge you before God and the Lord Jesus Christ and the elect angels that you observe these things without prejudice, doing nothing with partiality.
- What nature teaches us – 1 Corinthians 11:14 & 15
Two things nature is teaching us.
1.That there are distinct differences between men and women in terms of hair length
2.When gender distinction is disregarded and crossed that dishonors a person
Head covering what Paul taught is a feminine symbol of authority. Crossing this brings dishonor to men & God
In line with what nature says
“…the long hair is an indication from ‘nature’ of the differentiation between men and women, and so the head covering required is in line with what ‘nature’ teaches.” – John Murray (Professor, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1930-66)
- Church practice
Teaching of head covering is sandwiched between V 2 & V 17
- Corinthians followed teaching on head covering, but didn’t follow Lord’s supper and spiritual gifts. They were misusing.
- V 2 Paul praised them following the traditions followed by teaching on head covering
Apostles’ teachings as traditions are expected to follow
2 Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.
2 Thessalonians 3:6 But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us.
Head covering is a tradition of men or the Apostle?
Corinthians 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you.
This means that head covering is authoritative apostolic teaching.
What is church’s position?
Just now we understood that it is Paul’s authoritative teaching.
- 1 Corinthians 11:16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.
- Paul is simply saying – do not argue or debate about this. We don’t have any other custom or practice as alternate, just practice this one.
Head covering is not a new doctrine
This teaching remained the standard practice of most churches throughout the majority of Church History.
As R.C. Sproul notes “The wearing of fabric head coverings in worship was universally the practice of Christian women until the twentieth century. What happened? Did we suddenly find some biblical truth to which the saints for thousands of years were blind? Or were our biblical views of women gradually eroded by the modern feminist movement that has infiltrated the Church of Jesus Christ which is “the pillar and ground of the truth”?
Sproul is saying if we don’t want to subscribe to this truth based on “equality of men and women” it is wrong.
Woman wearing head cover
- Is a sign of her submission to her husband
- To ensure decent behavior in front of the angels
- Not to cross the natural order and cause dishonor to husband and to God
- Not to violate the authoritative teaching of the apostle and no one can contest.
Wearing or not wearing head cover is not going to change the biblical authority & responsibility of men & women
If head covering is one of Paul’s teaching, if we tend to take it lightly, what about the teachings followed – communion and spiritual gifts???
- Today’s women don’t want to outwardly display their submission to their husbands
- Considering men and women are equal not in value & worth, but in authority, roles and responsibilities will not recommend to wear head cover
- Should we teach this truth to the church? – Yes
- Should we force this truth over the church? – No
- Why? – The heart attitude is more important than the external
Having head covered and being not submissive to husband & God is hypocrisy (sin) deserves punishment in hell
- Same as removing jewelleries and living a life that doesn’t please the Lord
Does it mean that these teachings are optional, or lower in importance than what Jesus taught?
- We need to take these steps not because it is forced to follow, but because of the inner change taken place.
For example, because of an urging desire towards holiness letting gold or pearls or expensive clothes to go.
- Because of a stronger commitment to the authority of husband and God, wearing head cover.
- For God, inner attitude is more important than the outer appearance.
- That is the reason forcing such teaching is not effective
Here is a checklist that may help you to analyze what the spirit of God is telling you after reading this article/presentation.
Checklist: (can be filled only after going through the above study)
Ask these questions to yourself.
Answer “Yes” or “No”
1. Do you agree the order of authority God established? (wife–>Husband–>Christ–>God) (1 Corinthians 11)
2. Do you believe in the angelic involvement in worship?
3. Do you agree that when gender distinction is disregarded, God is dishonored?
4. If so, do you agree if gender distinction in terms of head covering is disregarded, it dishonors your husband and God?
5. Do you believe head covering is authoritative apostolic teaching?
6. In your heart do you regard your husband/future husband is your head and Jesus is his head?
If the answer to all the above questions is “Yes” there is no reason why you cannot use head cover while praying and worshiping.