Christian Character – Pillar 1: Faith
Series: Christian Character | Title: Christian Character – Pillar 1: Faith | Sermon by: Pastor Balan Swaminathan | Location: House of Intercessory Prayer Ministries, Halifax, NS Canada | Date: Sunday May 07, 2017
Biblical Convictions of Christian Character
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God and the final authority in my life
- My purpose in life is to love God and to order my life around his priorities.
- My body is the temple of God and I must not defile it
- My church correctly teaches me the foundational truths of the Bible
- My children are gifts from God and I develop Godly character in them
- My actions must never weaken the Scriptural convictions of others
- My marriage is a life-long commitment to God and my spouse
- My money is given by God to manage faithfully and wisely, I don’t own it.
- My words must be in harmony with God’s Word. I am accountable.
- My affections should be set on things above, not on things of the earth
Pillar 1: Faith
- First heart attitude we want to see is Faith, trust in God
- All promises don’t mean anything if we don’t believe
- You need to know Him to trust Him
- The very basis of Christianity is faith
- We believe in an unseen God is by faith
- By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, Hebrews 11:3
- By faith we receive salvation
- By faith we hope for eternity
- It is impossible to please God without faith – Hebrews 11:6
Faith – A Christian Character
- The genuine character of a child of God
- Shows the amount of trust we have in God
- Here “Faith” is the fruit of the spirit, not the gift
- Not the faith to move the mountain, but the faith to move towards Christlikeness
- Faith that helps to walk over the difficulties
- Faith that sets our eyes upon Jesus
- Faith that makes us bold and courageous
- Faith that helps us to respect, trust and love
- Mark 9:21-25 “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief”.
- We believe God is Sovereign, Jesus was born of virgin, He is the Son of God, He is going to come gain, but when it comes to our situation, we doubt
- We believe in God for others, but we doubt when it comes to us
- Moses doubted God, Gideon doubted God, Elijah doubted God, Jeremiah doubted God, the Apostles doubt
- Faith – A character missing among believers
Not having Faith is life-threatening
- Doubt is a struggle for believers, not for unbelievers. Doubt is different from disbelieve
- Doubt is a momentary lapse of faith.
- It is life-threatening, because we lose faith when it is most needed
- Sometimes we doubt because we have wrong or unreal expectations of Jesus
- Sometimes we doubt because of personal tragedy
- Sometimes we doubt because of incomplete revelation
Develop Faith, a fruit of the Spirit
- KJV – “Faith” – Root Greek Word is “pistis” – Conviction of the truth.
- Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
- Faith is not just hoping for the best to happen, Faith is the assurance, Faith is the confidence in God.
- Having Confidence in Christ – Philippians 1:6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;
Develop Faith, a fruit of the Spirit
- Knowing Satan’s craftiness – Faith is the lifeline that Satan wants to cut off, Luke 22:31-32 And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”
- Knowing God’s Word – Rom 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Habakkuk’s Faith in God
- Judah are unfaithful to God, they were sinful, wicked
- First Question: (V2 onwards) Why God is not doing anything.
- Come down and bring a spiritual revival or
- Step down and judge
- But it appears that God is not doing anything (His complaint)
- Lord’s Reply (V5 onwards) – God is doing something
- Second question: (V 12 onwards)
- Reaffirming what he knew about His God
- Habakkuk 2:4 (Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38)
- When I don’t understand the circumstances, I understand my God
- Declaration of His faith – Habakkuk 3:17-19