Prepared by: Hagen Goldwin
Following Proper Food and Nutrition Guidelines is important to Emotional Well being
The first part of eating healthier is to plan meals:
- Set aside time to plan your meals for the day or week.
- When planning to shop for groceries, make a list to avoid buying unnecessary food
- Make sure to follow your plan so you know what you are eating.
Your Habits of eating also contribute to your well being:
- Be more aware when eating by noticing when you are hungry or full.
- Eat slowly and take your time.
- Try to cook at home and avoid eating out too much.
- Try to fill your plate with 50% vegetables, 25% protein and dairy, and 25% grain-based foods.
Make sure you eat a variety of foods:
- Eat more vegetables and fruits more often with meals and as snacks.
- Choose foods with healthy fats and minimize the intake of saturated and trans fats.
- Avoid highly processed foods with preservatives and high sodium and sugar content.
- Choose to drink water over juice and soda.
- Read the food labels to know how much fat, sodium, sugar, and other ingredients are present.
Avoid diet trends from social media:
- It is best to follow official or physician guidelines on healthy eating.
- Don’t be restricted by diets that may leave out essential nutrients.
- Choose healthy foods according to your needs.
Physical activity is also an essential part of nutrition:
- Ensure you exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Be active and stay hydrated.
Sleep is also an essential part of nutrition:
- Having 7-8 hours of sleep is vital to nutrition.
- Sleeping at consistent times helps maintain a sleep schedule.
- Sleep has restorative effects on the body and mind.
- Eating healthy also contributes to good sleep.