Prepared by: Nissy Hariharan & Sherie Ross
Socialisation v/s Isolation
Socialisation : The activity of mixing socially with others.
Isolation: The process or fact of isolating or being isolated
Health Consequences of Isolation
A feeling of worry, nervousness or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.
Lack of interest, enthusiasm or concern
Sadness because one has no friends or company
Feelings of severe despondency and dejection
A state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances
Necessity of Socialising
- To overcome social recession
- To improve physical and mental health
- Increased mental alertness
- Improved relationships
- To enhance emotion outflow and to eliminate stress
Ways to Socialise and Eliminate Isolation
- Prayer – Personal prayer, virtual group prayers with family, church and friends can help to eliminate isolation.
- Regular exercise – go on walks, bike rides, play games that require minimum contact (tennis, golf), work out at home
- Daily Routines – try to live as regularly as possible by waking up at your normal time, get ready, and do try to do everything you normally would do.
- Cleaning and decoration of our homes and personal rooms if available. Find time for personal care.
- Try cooking or baking the same thing as one of your friends and eat it together over video chat or with family . Try new dishes and enjoy.
- Having alone time is also important – try learning something that you’ve always wanted to do (writing, painting, learning an instrument, etc.). Time to nurture hidden talents.
- Use of social media (Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Instagram, Messenger)
Stay connected with friends and loved ones through phone calls and chats
- Post messages in Social media which brings out positive vibes, faith and hope. Share Gospel.
- Find your childhood friends and reinstate the bond bringing nostalgic memories.
- Playing games virtually is also a good way to socialize and stay in contact . eg: Ludo
- Socialization enhancing apps
- Netflix party
- Safe Gaming & Group chatting apps