Series: General | Title: God’s Time that Matters, not Ours | Sermon by: Pastor Balan Swaminathan | Location: House of Intercessory Prayer Ministries, Halifax, NS Canada | Date: Sunday March 11, 2018
One of the paradoxes or absurdities or inconsistencies or Uncertainties of our Christian life is that, “We know that there is a time for everything, But we don’t know when”.
We don’t know when we are going to settle down in our life, but we are sure one day.
- We don’t know when healing is going to take place for someone for whom we have been praying, but God will heal.
- We don’t know when someone for whom we have been praying to be saved, but he or she will be saved by God.
- We don’t know when Christ is going to come back to this world, we know for sure Jesus is going to come back.
- We don’t know when we will die, but we are sure one day we will die.
Bible says in Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is a time for everything.
Our problem is, not knowing the timing of GOD. Most of the time, we are either ahead or behind God’s time. We mess up so badly because we do not know God’s timing.
- Some of us wasted most of our lives without knowing what is God’s plan for our lives
- Some of us were forced to make wrong choices because we were trying to do things ahead of the timing of God.
- Some of us lost the very good opportunity as we were waiting too long & God’s time has gone.
- Some of us took wrong decisions that we are suffering lifelong just because we did not know timing of God so we missed blessings in our lives.
Most of the time we find what God wants us to do, but we fail to know when God wants us to do.
Most of the time God gives us promises, but He didn’t tell when those promises are going to fulfilled in our lives. At times people end up in waiting, waiting, and waiting.
- Joseph waited 13 years, Abraham waited for 25 years, Moses waited 40 years David waited 20 years, Jesus waited 30 years
- Waiting for the timing of God. Timing of God is very important in our lives.
- Don’t be ahead of God’s timing. God promised Abraham & he could not wait.
He thought God has given me promise, let me go forward & took wrong decision. It was a promise of God but it was wrong timing. He tried to fulfill the promise of God in the wrong timing. He missed the mark and end up in raising a generation who is in total enmity with God’s people.
- God doesn’t want us to wait too long or to move forward but God want us to know his perfect timing in our lives.
- Paul says, Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
- Don’t delay, don’t procrastinate
Many times, God gives us promise from the scripture or through a prophetic word, but we don’t know when those things are going to come true in our lives.
- If we miss God’s timing, there is going to be a great struggle in our lives.
- It is very vital for a child of God
- It is pivotal as it is going to change the entire course of our life.
The question is how do I know the timing of God in my life?
There is a time for everything
I want to talk a little about the cyclic nature of life around us. There is a rhythm or pattern that is already set by God in the nature. This pattern or rhythm is guiding us every day.
- For example, our breath, our heart beat, there is a pulsing rhythm within us.
- Everyday morning sun raises and evening sun sets. There is a pattern.
- Day & night, change of temperature, change of seasons, there is rhythm in the nature
- Birds migrate in a rhythm, animals get out for hunting, birds building their nest, fish lay their eggs so there is rhythm in nature by our God.
- Our life has a rhythm of its own – There is a time of birth, babyhood, childhood, adolescence, adulthood, parenthood, aging, and death
- Women, more than men are affected by the monthly cycles that guide their energy, moods, sleep pattern, behavior.
When our rhythm is in sync with the rhythm of nature, life is easy. When our rhythm is not in sync or breaking or goes off beat, complexities build up.
- In the same way God works in a rhythm.
- If we are in sync with God’s Rhythm, our life will go very well. So it is Important to know the timing of God.
Bible says, there is a time for everything. Fourteen pairs of contradictory things statements in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
1 To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
2 A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted;
3 A time to kill, And a time to heal; A time to break down, And a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
7 A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;
8 A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace.
There is a time appointed under heaven for all these things.
God does things in His time
God is not bound by time, space and matter.
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
God was there before everything. God created time, space & matter. So, God is not bound by time, space and matter. The eternity or the timelessness of God is very difficult to understand as we are bound by time.
Psalm 90:10 The days of our lives are seventy years; And if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
God operates in His time:
- Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time.
- As Jesus’ brothers told Him to go to Judea from Galilee for the feast of the Tabernacles, Jesus said John 7:6 “My time has not yet come”
- Romans 5:6 For when we were still without strength, in due (right) time Christ died for the ungodly.
- Galatians 4:4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son.
- Psalm 75:2 “When I choose the proper time, I will judge uprightly.
Even our timing is in God’s hands:
David says, Psalm 31:15 My times are in Your hand; Deliver me from the hand of my enemies, And from those who persecute me.
God’s timing is different from our time:
John 2:1-5 (Read) 1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. 3 And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”4 Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.
- Mother of Jesus told Jesus, they have no wine.
- A natural concern of mother Mary by seeing the situation but not for Jesus.
- Man is in a hurry to find a solution, but Jesus was not in hurry because timings are different
- Many times, we are in a hurry to find a solution, but Jesus is not doing anything there.
- When you are not sure you are operating in the timing of God, it’s better to wait. If you take wrong decision, your life will be in misery.
God’s timing is related to God’s purpose.
God’s timing is related to God’s will.
At times we don’t know his purpose & will. At times we fail to understand whether it’s right time or not.
Aligning our timing with God’s timing
It is not easy to know God’s timing: But how to align so that we can take proper decisions, we will wait where we need to wait and we will act where we need to act.
2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
Acts 1:6-7 6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7 And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority.
We don’t know when things are going to happen in our lives. But we believe that God is going to do those things on specific day.
God doesn’t tell us the time. In order to understand that we need to align our timing to God’s timing.
Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins (Mathew 25:1-13)
- Ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom
- Five wise took lamp and extra oil, five foolish took lamp and no extra oil
- But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. (Bridegroom doesn’t delay, we don’t understand the perfect timing of God)
- When bridegroom came, all trimmed their lamp, but foolish ones were running out of oil
- When they went to buy oil, the bridegroom came, the wise virgins entered into the weeding feast and the door was shut.
- When the foolish ones came back, they asked to open the door, request was refused.
Then Jesus said, 13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.
- Both the wise and foolish virgins were not aware of the exact timing of the bridegroom.
- But the wise virgins were well prepared for the timing of the bridegroom.
- We have questions concerning our future, we want to take decisions regarding our future.
- God operate in a rhythm, God does things in pattern.
- When we align our timing with the rhythm of God, that’s where we will find the TIMING OF GOD.
Four Aspects to find the timing of God
- Knowing the mind of God – 1 Corinthians 2:16 For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
- When our mind is in alignment with God’s mind, we know the timing of God.
- Abiding in Him – John 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
- God wants us to abide in him, then we can align our self with the timing of God.
- Until God pushes you in a situation, you cannot move.
- Having intimacy with God – For an intimate relationship both the partners to be in a closer proximity. To align with God, we need to have intimate relation with God.
James 4:8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
- Led by the Spirit – Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
- There is a time for everything
- God operates in his own time
- Aligning our time with the timing of God.
When we have the above all four in our lives, God will show us/tell us.
- We know is it time to move forward or time to stay.
- It is important to know the timing of God.