Series: General | Title: Precious in My Sight | Sermon by: Pastor Balan Swaminathan | Location: Marine Dr Pentecostal Church Musquodoboit Harbour, NS | Date: October 20, 2013
Isaiah 43:4 Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you;
Therefore I will give men for you, And people for your life.
“We are precious in the sight of God” is one of the Biblical facts that is difficult to comprehend. Many times we don’t find ourselves precious. We have more complaints than the good things we have to say about our lives.
Self-Deprecation or self condemnation is one of the seven basic character flaws. Self-deprecation means disapproving yourself, or running yourself down, both internally and in the sight of others. It is a drive to make yourself so small and insignificant as we live on this earth.
- Many times we hear an inner voice within us telling:
- Who am I?, I am not good enough, Nothing I do will ever result in something good
- I should feel ashamed of myself just for being me
- Even before I try, I know that I am going to fail— so what is the point in trying
- At least I will always be right about one thing: that’s about my inadequacy
- I have nothing of value that I can bring to anyone else. I don’t belong here. I am a fake.
These are the kind of inner voices that comes in our minds. The fear of inadequacy—never being good enough to please or satisfy someone, never being good enough to deserve success or love or happiness, these have been an ongoing problem in our lives.
- I cannot succeed in life, I cannot feel good about my life, I cannot get on well with others. The best I can hope for is to limit the damage within myself. Why should I open it up in front of others? So I better handle it on my own.
- If I am criticized, I probably deserve it. But at least if I criticize myself first, I leave others with nothing to criticize about me. Quite often we get into self-condemnation or self-disapproving mode in our lives.
These are some of the inner voices we hear in our everyday living on this earth. Many times we get carried away with such thoughts in our minds. We feel so inadequate and inferior about ourselves and we don’t feel like doing anything at all.
- The enemy has kept children of God under such a bondage today. I see that in our community, in all the communities and many churches where I go. He keep repeatedly telling us that you are good for nothing.
- But God wants to deliver us from this self-condemnation
- God made all of us in His own image and he loves us just the way we are. He is the one who brought us to this place, in this church, with a purpose; but the enemy is always trying to put you down and he is trying to make sure that we fail in fulfilling God’s purpose. He doesn’t really care about what do we do, he doesn’t care about what we feel about ourselves; but he is very particular that we miserably fail the purpose of God in our lives.
- Ultimately the devil is interested to see us is failing God’s purpose. It is very important to realize that we have a role to do in God’s kingdom. That’s the reason God has called us to this place. That’s the reason God has called everyone of us by their name.
But God says, Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you;
Isaiah 41:9 (NIV) 9 I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
I want all of you to think about our past, where we are coming from, our past life – how it was, think about our childhood days. God has brought us to this place with a purpose because He loves us, He is our God. Today we are so proud to say that. He blesses us.
Jeremiah 31:3 “I have loved you with an everlasting love;
The love that doesn’t stop here, the love will continue even as we go into eternity. He loved us with such a great love.
Psalm 119:73 Your hands have made me and fashioned me.
If we think about the fact that God has created us in His own image, with His own hands He has fashioned us; the moment the fact gets deep in our hearts, we don’t condemn ourselves. It hurts the heart of God when we think so low about ourselves. God feels bad.
Jesus asked us to look at the birds of the air, look at the lilies of the valley, how much more will I feed you and how much more will I clothe you? Then why are you so anxious? That is the question Jesus asked the crowd. Today, He is asking the same question to each and everyone of us.
Our God is our God, no doubt about that. If you are children of God and you know the power of God, today He is willing to deliver us from that unknown and never ending struggle that we try to handle by our own.
The reasons why I believe that I am precious in the sight of God today, are the following:
1. God’s Word says so
2. He loved me when nobody loved me
3. He understood me when everyone failed to understand me. When everyone around me had no clue what’s going on in my life, my savior understood me perfectly.
4. He called me into this, while there are many out there who are more talented and more able – but they are not called. There are many out there who are capable of doing many more things, but they are not willing to come over here. We don’t find them here today.
5. He trusted me when I was not trustworthy. He trusted us and placed this church in our hands, similarly He placed our family and children in our hands even though we are not trustworthy.
6. He promised me saying, “I will never leave you nor forsake you”. Who is going to be with you if you are not precious?
7. He has given me hope that He is going to come back to this world to take me home, what a precious promise it is! If we are not precious, He would not have given such great promises in our life.
What more evidence do we need to realize that we are precious in the sight of God? We need to be proud of it and happy about it.
There are two reasons why we don’t realize that we are precious in God’s sight.
Many times we compare ourselves with someone else and get discouraged. But today God is telling us,”You are precious in my sight”. Do you know that you are made unique in this world? We sing a song and tell God “There is no one else like you“. I believe God looks at each one us and tells us, “There is no one else like you“. We are unique. In this vast universe, on Earth, even though we are one among the 7.2 billion living on this earth, yet, we are unique and we are precious to Him. Isn’t it wonderful?
The moment we compare ourselves with others, we fail to realize that uniqueness in us. The moment we try to look at others, we fail God by saying that I am not like somebody else. God wants us to realize that we are unique. The moment we fail to realize our uniqueness, we get discouraged and we feel so low about ourselves. God is telling us that, I have made you, just what you are today. That is how I want you to be. I don’t want you to be like someone else. Today,
- We may not be an Elijah to call fire from heaven
- We may not be Moses to divide the read sea and take the children of Israel
- We may not be like David who brought Goliath down
- We may not be a Samson who set fire to the Philistines grains
- We may not be talented as someone else
- We may not be popular like someone, like sometimes kids feel that I am not popular in my class, in my school
- We may not be like somebody else who is always liked by others
- We may not be approached by anybody, we just come and go. No one comes and talks to us and spends time with us
- We may not be as successful as our brothers, sisters, or the other family members
- We may not be liked by everyone in our family
- We may not be understood and accepted by everyone around us today
But thank God that each and everyone of us is not like somebody else, we are unique. We are just what we are. I am just what I am and nothing can change me. Similarly, nothing can change you, you are just what you are. We do not have to worry about that, we are not like somebody else.
I thank God that I am not created like someone else, but I am created in the likeness of my God. That’s an amazing fact. We find, we are precious the moment we realize that we are created in His own image. I most often ask, “Have you seen God?” They say,’no’. I say, go and stand in front of the mirror because the Word of God says that I have created you in my own image.
God has certain unique plans for our lives, it doesn’t matter how old we are. It probably cannot be achieved by someone else. The Word of God tells us if God wants us to do something through us, he can do so only through us. Nobody else can replace us.
Jeremiah 29:11-13 (NIV) 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
The moment we stop comparing ourselves with others, there is a great relief in knowing that God has a specific plan for me in my life.
2. Dependency on self
There are many out there who are capable, talented, accepted by the society, they are popular, but they don’t have time for God. We are so busy, we come to the church, we go to the Bible study, we go to the intercessory prayer ministry and we do so many things but we question our talents. There are many out there, they are much more talented but they are not willing. Whereas, we are willing to go for it. They boast about their own abilities, in their own achievements, they don’t depend on God, in effect they are useless for God. But as we decide to depend on God, draw strength from him; we can be used by God. We can be a useful vessel in the presence of God.
But God doesn’t want us to go and do things on our own in this world. He wants us to depend on Him. The moment I try to do things by my own strength, I fail there. God brings me to a point, to tell me that you are not trying to do things by My (God’s) strength, you are trying to do things by your own strength, it’s not possible. It will appear that things are flourishing but the end is not going to be good.
When everything is going on well, we tend to depend on God. But God is asking, ”when things are not going well in your life, are you still depending on Me?”
Everyday God expects us to completely depend on him-
For our studies
For our work situation
For our family issues
For our marriage to work well
For our business to flourish
For our church to be built
For our church to bring the gospel out to the community, we need to depend on God.
When we depend on God, we are not limited by our abilities, that’s the secret of depending on God.
When I am depending on God, I am not limited by my abilities
When I depend on God, I need not to worry about what I am capable of doing
When I am depending on God, I do not worry about resources that I have within me but when I depend on God, my resources become limitless
When I am depending on God, my abilities go beyond the limit.
When I am depending on God, He gives me such a strength to do great things for Him.
Today God is asking us to depend on him.
When we depend on ourselves, we are afraid. But when we depend on God, we are courageous.
When we depend on our own strength, we feel weak because we are weaker vessels. More and more we depend on ourselves, we are going to become weaker and weaker. God is telling us,”depend on me”. Because He can strengthen those who are weak.
Once we start depending on God, we will realize, how precious we are in the sight of God.
Many times we get frustrated easily and say
Lord why am I going through all these things in my life.
Why is my sickness not leaving at all?
Why did this happen to my child?
Why no one on this Earth seems to understand me?
The answer is simple. God wants us to depend on Him, He doesn’t want us to depend on our abilities. At times our faith and dependency on God is tested. Even gold which is a precious metal, is tested by fire. You and I are certainly more precious than gold, you and I are certainly more precious than the birds of the air and the lilies of the valley; how true is it that we are tested by fire in our lives.
1 Peter 1:7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
God wants us not to give up by looking at the difficulties. God wants us to trust in Him and depend on Him.
The more we depend on God, He is going to make us more precious; as gold is taken through the fire, its going to be pure and precious.
Today God is telling you,”just go through it”, it will result in praise, honor and glory.
When we don’t compare our selves with others. We find that we are unique in the presence of the God. We accept that we are so precious in God’s presence.
When we don’t depend on our abilities, we start depending on God’s abilities. We find things start working in our lives.
We realize that we are so precious in God’s presence.
David realized this fact and he says,
Psalm 139:13-14 13 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.
He says, you looked at my substance even before it was formed, even before shape was given to it; you knew me, right from the beginning. You are able to take care of me until I finish my day.
It is God who created us.
It is God who put our parts together in our lives.
It was not a chance or an accident that we were born in this world. It was God.
He saw us even before we were formed in our mother’s womb.
He called us even before the foundations of the earth was laid.
1 Peter 2:9 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
Today, if you are frustrated with everything that’s going on in our lives, don’t give up. Keep moving forward because God is with you and He is considering us precious.
We need to give our God another opportunity to work in our lives.
Today, He wants to set you free from the oppressing thoughts that we are struggling with in our lives.
If you are sick and tired, start depending on God.
Your medications may not help at times, but Jesus is our healer.
If you are struggling with family issues and misunderstanding, lets came back to our creator. Tell him,”Lord you created me, you know what I am going through in my life. Lord, I pray that you put all those things together in my life”.
If someone is working against you in your life, if you are experiencing evil in your work place, in your business, in your society; God is telling us to depend on Him.
Zechariah 2:8 for he who touches you touches the apple of His eye.
Whatever we are dealing today, God wants us to know that He is able to deliver us because we are so precious.
Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you