Traditionally we are attached with something that tells us it is Christmas.
It was coming up to Christmas and Sammy asked his mum if he could have a new bike. So, she told him that the best idea would be to write to Santa. But Sam, having just played a vital role in the school nativity play, said he would prefer to write to the baby Jesus. So his mum told him that would be fine. Sam went to his room and wrote ‘ Dear Jesus, I have been a very good boy and would like to have a bike for Christmas.’ But he wasn’t very happy when he read it over. So he decided to try again and this time he wrote ‘Dear Jesus, I’m a good boy most of the time and would like a bike for Christmas.’ He read it back and wasn’t happy with that one either. He tried a third version. ‘Dear Jesus, I could be a good boy if I tried hard and especially if I had a new bike.’ He read that one too, but he still wasn’t satisfied.
So, he decided to go out for a walk while he thought about a better approach. After a short time he passed a house with a small statue of the Virgin Mary along the side of a Christmas crib in the front garden. He crept in, took the statue and stuffed it under his coat, hurried home and hid it under the bed.
Then he wrote this letter. ‘Dear Jesus, If you want to see your mother again, you’d better send me a new bike.’
We all get fascinated to see the various methods people adopt to celebrate Christmas.
But the real meaning of Christmas is to know the purpose of the birth of our Lord Jesus.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
Jesus came to this world so that you and I can have eternal life.
- Jesus did not come to establish a religion.
- He did not say only Christians will have eternal life, whoever believes in Him.
When we religionize and commercialize Christmas, the true meaning is lost.
The only purpose Jesus came is to give you eternal life.
- Not to give a better life than others.
- Not to give a trouble free or sick free life.
- He helps you in your weaknesses, heals you from your sicknesses, but more than that the purpose of His coming is to give eternal life.
It is not worth all the effort we take if life holds only 60, 70 or 80 years.
Life must be much more than that.
Bible says eternal life is a gift. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Just want to say few words about eternal life.
- Eternal life is life after death.
- Human is made of Body, spirit and soul. When we leave this world, our body perishes, spirit goes back to God and the soul is preserved for eternity.
Eternity has two options – eternal heaven or eternal hell.
To go to the eternal heaven –
- We need to believe in Jesus, because He gave His life for the mankind
- Our sins need to be forgiven – that’s why he was crucified, his blood can forgive our sins.
One not necessarily be a Christian to go to heaven. Need to believe in Jesus and receive forgiveness from sins.
Every car, when manufactured, is type tested for the worst crash that could ever happen, that doesn’t mean car crash is safe.
Every airplane undergoes “nose to tail and wing tip to wing tip” testing to ensure they can encounter all types of situations during service and remain undamaged. (called flutter testing)
- takeoffs with tail striking the runway,
- stalling mid-air
- and flying through icy conditions without the de-icers turned on,
- takeoff and landing with heavy payload condition.
That doesn’t mean airplane will never crash or an plane crash is safe.
Life is secure, healthy comfortable today. That doesn’t mean it will be for ever. There comes a day in each one of our life, when we are done with the life on this earth. The biggest question is – what is next???
We don’t want to close our eyes without knowing where we are going.
We want to be sure; I will go to the eternal heaven and be with the Lord.
Christmas gives you that assurance.
When we receive this precious gift of Jesus
- We see the love of the Father.
- not willing His people to perish in eternal hell
- We also cannot neglect the fact that this baby when grew up was crucified for my sins.
When we realize this truth, we get an assurance of eternity.